There goes Steve Kelley, again repeating the tired old cliché of “Progressive policies means getting “FREE STUFF” as he (yet again) demonstrates utter and complete CLUELESSNESS about what liberalism means, how it works, or its role in the world today.
Progressive policies are NOT about expecting “FREE STUFF” any more than you expect law enforcement, emergency first responders or “free” public schools to be provided by “other people’s money.”
We all contribute and we all benefit.
There are good ways in which public resources are allocated for public benefit but which no one would seriously consider “free stuff.” for the legitimate purpose of protecting PUBLIC HEALTH AND SAFETY, maintaining public order and helping those who actually need it:
• Universal comprehensive no-fee health care
• Universal tuition-free public education through college
• Guaranteed secure retirement program
• Job retraining, job placement assistance
• Proactive social services to PREVENT crime
• Public infrastructure for general use and general beneift
• Law enforcement, firefighting, emergency disaster relief
• Military protection from foreign threats
Ways in which public resource allocation is ABUSED as “free” giveaways — the real “free stuff” — are when they go to the few richest elites who already have the most with no benefit to the general public:
• Corporate welfare (socialism for the rich)
• Socialized professional sports (all benefit goes to people that are very rich)
• Tax exemptions for churches that non-believers have to make up for (socialized religion)
• Example of worst kind of bad public resource allocation (cited by Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez): Trump has a country club / golf course in her district. It was developed with public funds, but HE gets to keep all the revenue. Pure corporate welfare. Donald Trump: the real “Welfare Queen” of Queens.